Despite its name, the origin of which is said to be linked to gold, there is no trace of the precious metal in Aurières.

History of the village of Aurières

Separated from the commune of Vernines in 1872, this village is located on a vast plateau, exploited for the breeding of cattle and registered in the “AOP Saint Nectaire zone”. In the Middle Ages, Aurières formed an important seigniory belonging to the Counts of Auvergne. The village had a castle flanked by a large octagonal tower surrounded by a deep moat and ramparts. Neither the various transfers of power nor the conflicts of the Hundred Years War spared him. So much so that today, nothing remains of the castle and its enclosure. 

The church

Dedicated to Saint Anne, the church was built during the second quarter of the 1836th century on the site of an old Romanesque chapel. (It is open every day). In 1839, the state of the chapel was considered worrying by the municipality, which asked an architect for an estimate for the enlargement or reconstruction of the church. The second solution is recommended. Work began in 1844 and ended in 19. Apart from a capital to be attached to the Romanesque building reused as the base of the baptismal font, there are no medieval objects left from the first chapel. The objects from the modern period preserved in the building have for some summers been brought back or acquired during the 17th century, among which the chalice and the paten from the 18th century or the 1993th century altarpiece in gilded wood. The XNUMXth century altar has also been listed since XNUMX. Recently, a XNUMXth century gilt bronze censer was listed in the inventory of Historic Monuments. 

Several houses in the village have a cross embedded or carved on the facade. This element, very recurrent in traditional rural architecture, testifies to the religious fervor of the inhabitants. At the edge of the village, the Calvary offers a breathtaking view of the village as well as the The Banne d'Ordanche (1515 meters above sea level) and the Puy de l'Ouire (1505 meters above sea level).


Le Saint Nectaire PDO is a semi-soft, pressed, salty uncooked cheese with a bloomy rind and white, yellow or red mould. It is circular in shape, 21 cm in diameter and 5 cm thick for a weight of approximately 1,7 kg. A farm located in the village of Aurières offers visits and tastings and sales.

Your stay in Aurières

Village map

Was this content useful to you?